Friday, December 05, 2008

Cake, some action's what I need

A round cake covered in white icing with flowers and holy on topGranny and I decorated this year's Christmas cake last week - well, we started last week, but I fell asleep and had to finish it off at home this week. It's quite pretty, only it's not everso Christmassy (not nearly so Christmassy as last year's effort), and those white flowers are supposed to be hellebores (Christmas Roses). Unfortunately, they look rather more like lillies. Perhaps they are Christmas Lillies.

Still, I think we did pretty well considering the lack of time. And the bit I sawed off in order to make the top flat was scrumdiddly. There's enough brandy in that there innocent-looking cake to make an elephant dance the Macarena.

9 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

That looks absolutely beautiful! You guys did a fantastic job!

seahorse said...

No, they look absolutely like hellebores. They are my fave winter flower and you can get millions of varieties with green, pinkish and purpleish tints. Quite beautiful, as is your cake. I like this one even better than last year.

Roia said...

Your cake looks glorious!

Meanwhile, I'm still chuckling over the idea of an elephant dancing the macarena. A number of years ago I was invited to the wedding of a friend from Jamaica. Being somewhat dense, I simply assumed that lovely dark cake with the blue frosting was chocolate. Um. No. Quite the rum cake! Whowee!

When will you get to dig in and enjoy it for real?

FridaWrites said...

What a beautiful cake! That's a work of art.

Anonymous said...

'tis very tasty!

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq90/mushnikflowers/cake.jpg

Mushnik

The Goldfish said...

Thanks everyone!

Seahorse - thanks for the reassurance, if you're a particular fan of hellebores, we can't have gone too wrong!

Roia - mmm, rum cake. Well, I think we have to wait until at least Christmas Day and then after all the Christmas day food it probably won't be cut into until....

Oops, look at Munchnik's link! Someone has already started on it, digitally at least.

The Goldfish said...

Clicked publish too quick.

Thank you very much, Mushnik - and apologies for mispelling your name in the previous comment, which was a pretty massive Freudian slip. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Munchnik? Schmunchnik!

Oy vey Debs. It's the way you say it;-)

As Freudian slips go it was a leetle Freud'scher Versprecher;-)

p

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and neat compared to ours. Ours are usually done like deep drifts of snow, all spiky and windblown with bears and cottages... true country effort.

Actually I should say my mother's and my sister's are like that. The last time I tried to ice a cake, it all avalanched off and lay in a puddle around the cake's foothills.