Saturday, December 01, 2007

A piece of cake

Things got worse before they got better, but they did get better and I am feeling rather more sentient than I was. Plus I did achieve something this week so I'm going to tell you about that. It would be kind of a long story to explain why I was compelled to do so, but despite having been very unwell last weekend, I pushed myself very hard to keep this Wednesday's appointment with my Granny Kelly who had agreed to help me ice my Christmas cake. I haven't attempted anything like that since I was a child under her supervision and I didn't have the faintest idea where to start.

A Christmas Cake decorated with poinsettias and hollyAnd look what we did! I have no idea how impressive this cake may look to others, but I am very pleased with it. I suppose I am particularly chuffed because before hand, even after the marzipanning (which my Mum helped me with some weeks ago), it was extremely lumpy and misshapen. Now it looks quite orderly.

In other news, there is no other news as I really haven't been doing anything else.

Do you think anyone would notice when I bring it out at Christmas if I'd pinched a slice in the meantime?

12 comments:

Diddums said...

That looks really lovely. We've never made a Christmas cake that neat! Ours are a bit wild and wacky - and mine in particular had icing sliding off it, and I never got to do it again. Suits me fine. :-). I've never been fond of Christmas cake anyway.

Melissa said...

Wow. Very pretty! I think you could easily cut out some pieces directly below the poinsettias and then place the poinsettias back to cover up the holes. No one would know :)

Blog [with]tv said...

The cake is beautiful. And YES! We'd notice. Hands off! It's simply too lovely to mess with!

Hope you're feeling better in the coming days...

Mary said...

It looks great!

As for pinching a slice... how drunk exactly is everyone else going to be?

Jess said...

Wow, look at the pointsettias! That's gorgeous. :)

Now here's what you do: hollow it out from underneath-- that way no one will know you had any till it's too late. I'm not sure how you'll go about it, but I'm sure it's the best plan. :D

IrrationalPoint said...

Lovely.

--IP

Gone Fishing said...

Darn it, my femine side slips out again.
Well done Lassy, maginficent and a Very Merry Christmas to you all.
Regards Pete.

Melissa said...

See? Jess's suggestion sounds perfect to me. And if you fill in the hollowed out sections with more frosting, anyone who cuts into those parts will think they've got a special treat :)

seahorse said...

I actually gasped Wow! when I saw the picture. It's beautiful. If you can't wait til Christmas here's what to do. You need to get a jigsaw cutter and cut a side-plate sized hole in the table it's on from underneath. Then when the circular bit of table comes away you need a blowtorch. Gently burn a smaller saucer-sized hole through the plastic lid and cake base. If the cake base catches fire, perhaps try using the jigsaw again. You can then get at the cake and nibble away to your heart's content. If you don't fancy getting under the table for the excavations you could raise the legs to a suitable height so you can reach it from a seated position.

the fruitfemme said...

OMG, did you truly decorate that yourself? Totally impressed!

Elizabeth McClung said...

That is a truly magnificant and amazing cake - it really is a work of art (and love, and labour, and maybe cursing) - and I hope you get more pictures of it - wow, really, really amazing accomplishment. I'm all in envy!

Anonymous said...

You know, I definitely commented here, but my comment got eaten. I'll synopsize: Eat a piece of the cake, but then spackle the gaps with more marzipan and frosting. :)

It is very beautiful. Nicely done!