Friday, March 23, 2007

Everybody wants to dance with my baby

We had a lovely day yesterday when Rosie and Alexander came to visit. Alex spent a lot of time rolling about on our sofa, laughing, gurgling and attempting to pull his uncle's beard off. Rosie played on our drums and caused me some embarrassment when she opened the newly arrived copy of Shaggy Blog Stories at random and found two shocking spelling mistakes on a page I had proof-read. Oh the shame!

In the afternoon, Rosie, Alex and I went out for a drive and saw a deer in the forest. We decided we wanted a cup of coffee and having become rather lost, we ended up at a furniture shop which happened to have a rather nice restaurant. But honestly, if you use a wheelchair and feel you get a lot of uninvited attention; try putting a baby on your lap. There were gasps. "Oh how lovely!" they cry, "Isn't he gorgeous?!" The lady in the restaurant gave me too much change, and when I pointed this out she said, "Oh, but I was completely distracted!"

Really, I know I think Alexander is a darling but I'm allowed to; he's my nephew. Are other people like this towards all babies? There are babies all over the place; it must be exhausting for them.

Still, it was a great day. Very tiring, but worth it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's only because he's so cute - cuter than all the other babies :-) Maybe I'm a bit biased...

Timbo said...

He certainly is a sweetie. He's got one funky-arsed hairdo as well. :)

Anonymous said...

It's the tintin look, isn't it?

Sally said...

I adore babies, when I go out we are usually on the same level, and flirt with each other. Alexander is by far the cutest I 'know'. There is nothing, but nothing, nicer than holding a baby on your lap. (Signed: Crip who longs to be a grandma/aunty/baby sitter)

Anonymous said...

Sorry "Daddy", but he's only *as* cute a my nephew ;-D. I know my brother and sister-in-law report similar reactions:

Everyone stopping to talk to Hugo in the supermarket;

The carers at his nursery wouldn't believe that he always arrived late because everyone talked to him on the way in - until one of them took Hugo with her on a 5 min photocopying job - which then lasted half an hour;

The consultant taking him on ward rounds (stopping regularly at the Christmas tree when that was up!) - in fact my sis-in-law reckons they ought to keep Hugo on the ward as physiotherapy! Apparently many people who did think they could walk to the end of the ward, suddnely found they could!

Anonymous said...

He really is super cute. I don't even like babies particularly, and I think so.

The Goldfish said...

Hugo is indeed very cute, and in a completely different way to Alexander, so their is no competition. Perhaps we could agree that Alex is the cutest ginger baby (for he is now looking decidedly ginger)?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally agree - completely different :-). I was granting Alex equal first with Hugo ;-). They're both super cuties :-).

Mary said...

Oh you wait till he talks.

At the zoo. In the wheelchair. Being pushed by Pip, who on his back had a backpack containing an almost-two-year-old eagerly waving and saying "hiya! hiya!" at everyone.

There were some people who found us more interesting than the animals...

Anonymous said...

You do know I'm kidding,right? I'm not really competitive aunty! In fact I'd be worried if the TK Gang didn't think Alex was the cutest baby on earth :-)

The Goldfish said...

Of course I know you're joking, Vic. If you weren't, I would set my nephew on you. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought you did - but ya know, not always easy without tone of voice.

And Hugo could beat Alex any day ;-D (kidding still *of course*) - well 3 months head start is a little unfair. I think we'd have to agree something like water pistols though, both being of a pacifist bent ;-).