Friday, May 04, 2007

One each end and steady as we go

Am gradually recovering from Blogging Against Disablism Day. I really want to say thank you to those people who did get about and leave comments places; you know who you are, I do too and I very much appreciate that. It felt rather as if I had made the horrendous mistake of hosting an enormous party when I wasn't very well, but a handful guests kept the party going whilst I passed out under the pile of coats. Thank you very much.

I counted 170 posts on Wednesday morning. Since then I have added several more. I'll perhaps wait until after the weekend and do a final count, but it's certainly an increase on last year. Which is great; I didn’t really expect or hope for it to be bigger and I certainly didn’t do anything to make it so. I was rather bitter at not being able to post anything myself, or get round and leave as many appreciative comments as I might have done, but it was, um, everso slightly taxing. And thank you very much to Vic for sending me a video full of Doctor Who for me to watch just when I needed it. I do love Doctor Who!

Meanwhile three things have happened. The remarkable luck of Lucky the fish finally ran out and she died on Tuesday, but Schmuck appears to be recovering. Later that day we gave the old brown car away to a young man who had the tenacity to knock on our door and ask if he could have it for banger-racing. And the piano arrived!

The piano’s arrival is a very good thing. We weren’t hugely confident of it fitting in here; we thought we might have to take windows out and suchlike to get it in but three burly men (who took lots of sugar in their tea), managed to get it round an impossible corner and into the room where we wanted it. And it makes a gorgeous sound even though it’s full of dust, hasn’t been tuned in seven years and I can’t only remember the first sixteen bars of Moonlight Sonata. It needs to settle for a few days, to the new temperature and humidity and then we’ll get it tuned.

16 comments:

Sally said...

So glad you have surfaced, safe and sound, from the metaphorical pile of coats ! I have met so many other Bloggers new to me through BADD - your's is a fantastic achievement, and I am not just saying that because I managed to get listed twice (don't delete the first, its about to make a come back).
Three cheers for Goldfish ! ! !

Mary said...

Hey, glad you're still in one piece :)

Timbo said...

You did an amazing job, and if you read each and every one of those posts you are a better person than me, because I haven't. I have been ill though so I've got a cast-iron excuse. x

seahorse said...

Thunderous applause, flowers thrown at you, underwear even...yes I know you'd be far too modest to be under such a spotlight, but it was your show and you did us proud.
Delighted re piano. May you all get melodiously reacquainted.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I really think that organizing BADD counts as a pretty big anti-disablism action. I don't really see how anybody can be expected to do more even under the best of circumstances. That was a heck of a lot of work, and even though you weren't feeling well, you did a beautiful job and handled everything quite graciously.

Huzzah for the piano! Enjoy.

krishanna said...

I've had a horrendous pain week but will have my post by Sunday. Sorry. I hope I can still be included.- Krishanna

The Goldfish said...

Thanks everyone. Wow - even underwear! You're all very kind. :-)

Krishanna - yes of course.

Niksmom said...

Kudos to you for organizing such a great "party!" I felt so welcomed to the neighborhood and had a marvelous time!

I'm having piano envy! (Un) Fortuately (???) my little one is too little to apprecaite what a gift that would be! Sigh...

Connie said...

"everso slightly taxing"! You don't say! I feel "taxed" just by looking at the list of all the blogs and posts to read. You, and all your contributors, have done a tremendous job with your BADD event and I agree with seahorse's comments. BRAVO! And thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for organising BADD. I appreciate the hard work involved in this, and I think you've done an excellent job of getting about, communicating with people and so on.

I thoroughly enjoyed joining in, and reading many of the other posts. I'll be re-visiting many of those sites again (as well as this one!).

Of course, you do realise you're going to need to do it again next year, too...

BloggingMone said...

Thank you for doing a tremendous job! I am so sorry for being late, but I hope I have makde it to the finsihing line just in time. Two minutes ago I have published my contribution.

Peach said...

ah wow, a piano - I'll come round and teach you if you like !

Smiffy said...

Hey, my wife bought an old Bluthner baby grand. On eBay! Neither of us have made much attempt to play it, but the dogs like to lie underneath it...

A huge THANK YOU for making BADD happen again. It's one thing to come up with a post or two, but the coordination effort must have been huge.

Anonymous said...

Blogging Against Disablism Day was fantastic. Thanks to you (and all the excellent contributors), I've enjoyed a week of wonderfully insightful and thought-provoking writing that I'd never have discovered otherwise. (I'm still working my way through the list, actually, so I'm looking forward to another week of same.) Thank you!

On the other hand, it's also thanks to you that I've had to go and listen to Bill Bailey's "Moonlight Sonata with Cockney Intro," haven't I? Now it's going to be in my head all day. :D

David said...

Thanks for all your hard work and creativity, Goldfish.

The Goldfish said...

Thanks everyone, you are very kind. :-)