Wednesday, September 14, 2005

102,950

Sometimes when I refer to my novel, I feel a fake. There are many days when little to no progress is achieved, sometimes weeks where nothing happens. Part of me feels like I've barely started with all I have to do.

So today I did a wordcount.

In fairness, it is still a big mess. I am going to leave it for a few days and then come back and work through the whole thing, tidying it up, rewriting bits that need rewriting. There are still bits I haven't written, but I don't want it to be much longer than this. 100,000 words is an effective doorstop as it is, especially as the first draft was about 75,000 (do did that happen?).

The word "fuck" appears 54 times. I have to do something about that.

In other news, I was forced to cancel my second acupuncture/ physiotherapy appointment. Next time, if I'm ill again, I will be kicked off the books. The reception didn't put it quite like that, but it is fair enough. Perhaps I'm just not well enough to do it just now. Which is depressing, because I actually feel like I'm doing all right except for the pain, yet it's not the pain that has stopped me going. I've had six physiotherapy appointments since mid-August and I've managed to attend two. And it was my idea, I asked for the referral.

2 comments:

marmiteboy said...

Only 54 uses of the word 'fuck' eh. What about the other 102,896?

If it was my book it'll probably have 102 896 'fucks' and 54 non sweary words. But then am given to the odd swear on ocassion.

Sorry to hear you feeling shit again Goldfish. I'll keep my fingers crossed you're well enough to go next time.

By the way, I was talking to my Dad about acupuncture when I saw him at the weekend and he told me that he found it so relaxing he fell asleep during his session. And that's something. He is a big wuss when it comes to needles.

Thought I'd share that with you.

Take care

Marmite

The Goldfish said...

It's still a fuck every 2000 words though. I mean, I'm not trying to rewrite Trainspotting.

Thanks for your finger-crossing and comment about acupuncture. :-)