Sunday, February 20, 2005

All Along The Watchtower

Still not a lot going on here. I have been comparing versions of “All Along the Watchtower.” Can’t make my mind up between Bob Dylan (who wrote it) and Jimi Hendrix. Both are very exciting, but in different ways. Bob Dylan planted the seed, but I think perhaps Hendrix actually gave birth to the song. Perhaps. Although there is an appealling rawness to the Dylan version and I am always in awe at anyone who can make a mouth-organ solo sound edgy and cool.

I also downloaded a Paul Wellar Version from iTunes, but it was rather disappointing. If wet paint made a noise while it dried, that would be it. It lasted six full minutes and the song had finished within three – I keep trying to work out what happens for those last three minutes, but every time I listen to it I get bored and distracted and the next thing I know it has finished and I have been thinking about or doing something else.

This is my exciting weekend; listening to the same song over and over and comparing the merits of different versions.

Meanwhile, the novel is progressing slowly but surely. I want to be writing a thousand words a way but at the moment it’s something if I average five hundred. Someone once told me that Bertram Russell published 2000 words for every day he was alive, but I don’t believe that for a minute. And let’s face it, he didn’t produce too many psychological thrillers, did he? No, exactly. And I’m sure I’m better looking than he was. So there.

No comments: