Thursday, April 28, 2011

I am Woman, Hear me Rawr!

Dinosaur Hoody from behindKate Middleton's dress is only the second most important fashion revelation this week - and probably won't be quite so funky. Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, the gigantic pink dinosaur look - or the dinosaur rose colossal as they're calling it on the catwalks of Paris.

A month or so ago, Elizabeth made this dino hoody for her young lad and as I increasingly take my style cues from four year old boys, I knew I had to have one.

Dinosaur hoody from back and side
On eBay, I found a dip-dyed pink hoody and a very loud but very small pink tartan skirt from which I harvested the fabric for the spikes. I cut triangles with one side rounded to make cones. The tartan is polyester and whilst not especially thick, is rigid enough to stick out without stuffing, so it's perfectly comfortable to sit and lie down in - an advantage considering that that's what I do.

One of the cones I flattened and attached to pink ribbon for a tail, but that wasn't hanging at its best angle for the photo.

Hood and face through funky if unflattering lens
I began to write a little treatise here on the colour pink, which I see as a very politically-loaded colour, but to be honest I didn't think about anything political when buying the materials. I guess my thoughts were, this is going to look extraordinary silly anyway - pink may well take it to another level. Anyway, I've written about pink before.

Did I mention I was thirty? I love being thirty.

You can see more examples of dinosaur hoodies here.

If you haven't already, please sign up to Blogging Against Disablism Day and help spread the word. Everything seems to be going really well so far.

[Image descriptions: Three pictures of me, a tallish white woman with brown hair, modeling a pink hooded sweatshirt with dinosaur-style tartan spikes sticking out in a link up my spine and over the centre of the hood.]

6 comments:

Vic said...

Oh my.... I think that's all I can say about this :-).

And Kate who? What dress?.....(hiding til *it* is over)

Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing. You rule!

Elizabeth said...

ALso, ha ha, that first link is not my blog. I wish :)

Amy said...

This is made of win. My wife would love one, thank you for the how to!

Attila the Mom said...

Love it!!

Anonymous said...

Phwoar!

As gorgeous as ever Debs!

pxx